Cornish Delights

Leave a Comment

I'm currently lying in bed, feeling oddly jet-lagged after a seven hour drive home from Cornwall. But I've had the most wonderful two weeks and just had to get it down on paper.

 
 
Our bi-annual visits to the county begun when half of my family moved there from Surrey. They've settled near Wadebridge, a beautiful historic market town just 10 minutes away from stunning beaches including Rock, Padstow, Daymer Bay and Polzeath.

(Sorry. I've just read that last sentence back and it sounds like a blumin holiday brochure. Anyway, on with the show…)
 

Polzeath beach is where any surfing I attempt happens. A tourists’ favourite, yes, but that doesn’t detract from how cool it is. (Funny story - I was body boarding a few years back here. I caught a wave and looked over to the left to see that I was sharing it with PRINCE WILLIAM and it was a beautiful moment.) 
If you’re there, prioritise the Sandbar or Waterfront for fabulous food and atmosphere, and in the afternoon wander up to New Polzeath to enjoy banter, surfing gossip and delicious pancakes from Mr Surfy.
 
 
 
Rock is probably my favourite beach of all, and the one we spend the most time at. My point of recommendation would be a little further down the beach where its quieter, but beware, you’ll have to walk back over the dunes when the tide comes in. I love mooching round the little shops on the beach front, and always make a b-line for ‘No.1 at Rock’ for a-may-zing food. And if you don't spot royalty here I can guarantee a run in with Made in Chelsea's finest.
 
 
Along with days spent at the beach sunbathing, surfing and BBQ-ing, we spent an evening at a ‘Party in the Park’ at Pencarrow House, watched the Wadebridge Carnival, wandered round beautiful Padstow, did plenty of walks along the coast and through Cardinham Woods, and happily ate our body weight in food.
 
 
Party in the Park. It rained...
 
 
 
My foody highlight was our evening at Rick Stein's ‘The Seafood Restaurant’ in celebration of my Auntie and Uncle's 40th anniversary. I had a lobster risotto to start, a char-grilled Fillet of Sea Bass for mains, and an Apricot Gazpacho with Almond Parfait and Rosemary for my pud. Deeeelicious.
 
 
 
I love spending time with my two little cousins, who, to my despair, are growing up ridiculously fast. But they're both at such a gorgeous age (3 and 7) and are hilarious. I'm completely obsessed. 
 
 
 

This area in Cornwall is my favourite place, home or abroad. Obviously the beaches and scenery play a massive part in that, but what makes it extra special is the fact I get to spend two weeks with my family who I wish I could see far more often. I'm completely in love with it.

 






 
 

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig