Move It 2014

Leave a Comment
The other week I embarked on a quick trip to the biggest dance event in the UK - Move It. 
 
Ever year it attracts thousands of dancers from all backgrounds to the Kensington Olympia exhibition complex in London. Running from the 7th- 9th March, this year it was bigger and better than ever. 
 
Move It - Kensington Olympia
 
Although this was my 5th visit to Move It, it was the first time I’d been on the Friday. It was a little less busy, but the incredible atmosphere was still there. It just meant there was a little less squeezing down the aisles!
 
 
As a dance-addict myself, I adore going to Move It. I could spend hours wandering round the hundreds of stands selling products, advertising top colleges and bagging lots of good freebies...
 
 
There's an endless list of classes taught by professionals that you can attend. They cover everything from lindy hop to advanced commercial, musical theatre to tap, and beginner’s ballet to audition technique.  
 
 
However, if you prefer to spectate you can easily fill your day with incredible performances and inspiring interviews. This year artists included Sisco Gomez, the cast of Stomp, Dancers Inc Ambassadors, Diversity, Darcey Bussell, Janette Manrara and many top dance schools from around the country, just to name a few.
 
 
Here are a few of my highlights from the day:
 
 
·       We bumped into to Karen Hauer and Kevin Clifton who were at the Wheelchair Dance Sport Association stand. As always they were super friendly and happy to chat. I love these two! They told us all about the association, and what an amazing job it does providing dance opportunities for people in wheelchairs. Anyone can get involved! You can visit their website here.
 
Karen Hauer and Kevin Clifton at the WDSA stand
 
·       We then wandered round the stands a little more and came across the FitSteps stand, run by the ridiculously talented Natalie Lowe and Ian Waite, who were selling DVDs and chatting to fans.
 
 
Natalie Lowe, Ian Waite and Mark Foster (FitSteps Creators) being interviewed by Annaliese Dayes.
  I joined in one of the four demonstrations that were taking place throughout the day and had a chat with Natalie after. (We took photos which I’ve left out as I horrendously pretty gross and sweaty…) She said I should join in the next class too, so I couldn’t resist. How often do you get to dance right up close to two of the best ballroom dancers in the UK? (And for free!) Admittedly halfway through the second one I began to wilt, but it still felt amazing! 
 
       (Fitsteps is a new dance-based fitness class that is sweeping the nation. I started a couple of weeks ago and I’m so glad I did. I cannot recommend it enough. You can easily adapt your workout to whatever suits your fitness level, so literally anyone can reap the benefits. Find a class near you here.)
 
·      Sisco Gomez’ interview stands out for me. This man has so much sass! He gave such a great talk covering his life as a dancer and sharing invaluable top tips for being successful in the industry. He also reluctantly name dropped the likes of Janet Jackson, Madonna and Kylie. He’s fab, just the right amount of diva.

 
Trying to take a sneaky selfie with Sisco Gomez, looks like he's patting my head! (left) Sisco having photographs (right)
 
·      I have never seen Stomp, but after their showcase at Move It I am making it a top priority to go. It’s seriously incredible; so rhythmical and exciting.
 
·      The Dancers Inc Ambassadors are regular performers at Move It, in the past performing on the main stage the likes of Adam Garcia and Kimberley Wyatt. They are all absolutely incredible, and their performance is one of the things I look forward to most at the event.
 
          I can’t help but notice my eyes always seem drawn to the almost-not-human-he’s that-good-looking Anthony ‘BB’ Kaye. We attempted so many selfies (he said he absolutely LOVES selfies, so would I if I looked like that!), but the light was just not co-operating. Such a shame...it meant we had to keep trying until we got a good one, which as you can imagine was awful for me.. ;) I think I ended up with about 9 on my phone haha.
 
 
The Dancers Inc Ambassadors after their performance on the Main Stage.
 
If you love any sort of dance, whether it be watching or participating, Move It is the place for you, and I would 100% recommend a visit next year. Maybe I’ll see you there!
 
You can keep up to date with next year’s show, and see photos of previous years here.
 
Next PostNewer Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig